What’s Your Price For Freedom?
The price of freedom for me, for this month, is $197.18. That’s not really a lot of money…but it provided a lot of peace of mind/insurance. What’s in that price, you ask. Well, I’ll tell you.
I had to run to Costco, my warehouse store. I was out of coffee. All I had left were holiday K-cups of eggnog and gingerbread coffee from last year, and it wasn’t cutting it. I headed to the store and bought 3 pounds of French Roast coffee for under $16. The whole beans are excellent quality and I grind them up and put them into my Keurig machine’s attachment so that I JUST brew ONE cup of coffee in the morning, wasting nothing.
While in the store, I noticed a food storage/prepper company’s display. One Month’s Food Supply–$139.99. It was by Augason Farms and after fifteen minutes of apprehension, I bought it. It contains about 48 small cans of various contents I will display later. The shelf life of these items is up to 30 years. I am so proud of myself. Of course I already had several months’ supply of food in various forms, including bags, cans, and #10 industrial sized prepper cans. But this was different. In one heavy box, I had enough supplies to get through a month, and the box is small enough to take with us in an emergency, without having to pack-up our pantry. Did I mention how happy I am?
No, I’m not preparing for the world’s end. If it were coming, I wouldn’t prep at all…I’d be praying and preparing for death. No, I prep for natural disasters, job loss, food shortage, outbreak, or some little annoyance that makes getting to the market difficult.
Did you know I have a week’s supply of kid’s food in case something happened to me and my daughter was left alone? If it took days for someone to realize I was dead, my daughter would be well-fed until help arrived. I am three time zones from all our family, and when my wife is working out of town, it could take several days for her to realize something was wrong at home (actually, she’d know in a few hours, but just in case).
I added a case of hand-crafted ales, a case of applesauce for my daughter and two tubs of Nutella (for keeping up morale) as well as some pita bread to my shopping cart, and voila! I have a great supply of food and good cheer to see our family through well over a month’s hard times. I’m guessing we have at LEAST three month’s supply of food and I’d guess it’s closer to six…with an orchard of figs, apples, apricots , pears, and various other foods (lemon trees: you better start producing!) to sprout up and supplement our diet (and sweet potatoes!).
I hope this inspires you. Please share your stories with us here at HD. We’d love to hear from you.
Keep homesteading and prepping!!!
Yours in prepping,
From the manufacturer:
- Packed with 21 different products, Augason Farms’ 543 Servings Food Storage Kit ensures that you’ll have a wide variety of foods to choose from over an entire month. Each kit provides 2,073 calories per day, for one person, for an entire month.
- Brand: Augason Farms
- Model: 5-07312
- Dimensions: 20.75 x 17.25 x 13.25
- Shelf life: Up to 30 Years
- Includes a 30-day manufacturer warranty
- Weight: 57 pounds
- Store in cool, dry environment
- Package contents:
- Six (6) Creamy Wheat Cereal
- Four (4) of each:
- Honey Coated Banana Slices, Long Grain White Rice
- Three (3) of each:
- Creamy Potato Soup Mix, Chicken Noodle Soup Mix, Southwest Chili Mix, Buttermilk Pancake Mix
- Two (2) of each:
- Dehydrated Potato Gems, Freeze Dried Sweet Corn, Dehydrated Potato Dices, Freeze Dried Broccoli Florets & Stems, Country Fresh 100 Real Instant Nonfat Dry Milk, Cheesy Broccoli Soup Mix, Orange Delight Drink Mix, Chocolate Morning Moo’s Milk Alternative
- One (1) of each:
- Freeze Dried Strawberries (whole or sliced depending on availability), Vegetarian Meat Substitute Beef (flavored), Vegetarian Meat Substitute Bacon Bits (flavored), Vegetarian Meat Substitute Chicken (flavored), Dehydrated Chopped Onions, Dried Whole Eggs